[Lenny400] Patches for linux-stable

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Fri Sep 1 22:25:15 CEST 2017

On Friday 1. September 2017 19.45.47 H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> Hi Paul,
> great and that quick...

Well, it was all sitting around, so a quick diff against the mainline
changeset was all it took.

> > Am 01.09.2017 um 19:31 schrieb Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk>:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have attached a single, combined diff for all of the changes I have
> > done so far against linux-stable (changeset
> > ef954844c7ace62f773f4f23e28d2d915adc419f).
> >
> > There are probably mistakes made in this code, even though it compiles,
> > and so it isn't so interesting to provide the change history because I
> > definitely made mistakes and forgot things as I stumbled through the
> > process of writing it. And the objectives of writing each piece of code
> > are pretty clear, anyway, so there's no benefit in seeing it in "slow
> > motion" with commentary. :-)
>
> No problem. I am currently working on a tool to split commit sets by file
> name... So making multiple patches out of this single one isn't very
> difficult (as soon as the tool works - which *is* difficult).

It depends how you want to do it. Taking a combined diff just involves
splitting on some recognisable separator. Indeed, I created the list of
filenames by doing this:

grep '^+++ b/' filename.diff | sed 's/+++ b\///'

That is a bit of a hack, but it is the consequence of using git diff, as
opposed to something else, to get the initial diff.

[...]

> > arch/mips/jz4740/Kconfig
> > arch/mips/jz4740/Makefile
> > arch/mips/jz4740/board-minipc.c
> > arch/mips/jz4740/platform.c
> > arch/mips/jz4740/time.c
>
> Here I wonder if we shouldn't have a jz4730 subdirectory?
> But if differences are small it may be the better way.

In the 2.6 kernel, there are jz4730, jz4740 and jz4750 directories, and you
can imagine what other Ingenic code releases do. :-) But I think the
differences are small enough, and I believe that the maintainers have tried to
accommodate jz4770 and jz4780 within this jz4740-only arrangement.

[...]

> Everything looks marvelous!

At the moment... :-)

> > I will keep looking at the other areas that will need updating, but I
> > thought that it might be useful to get some feedback now.
>
> I will try to apply/merge it to the Letux tree.
> At the moment I am trying to get my cross-compiler working. It stumbles
> about not finding some sgidefs.h and byteswap.h. The typical include path
> problems :)

One thing I forgot to mention about my experiments with David's work is that I
needed to apply changes to get my modern GCC working with the old 2.6 kernel
code. Here, however, GCC 6.x should work just fine, and I am fortunate enough
to be using Debian unstable which provides mipsel cross-compilers, as should
the latest Debian stable release.