[Gta04-owner] Little Debian Update

Josua Mayer josua.mayer97 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 11:06:22 CET 2018

Hi Nikolaus,

Am 29.01.2018 um 10:55 schrieb H. Nikolaus Schaller:
> Hi Josua,
>
>> Am 29.01.2018 um 10:39 schrieb Josua Mayer <josua.mayer97 at gmail.com>:
>>
>> My bugreport on adding the GTA04 to flash-kernel received a little
>> attention:
>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=871792
> Good!
>
>> Vagrant Cascadian is asking for a list of u-boot variables that are set
>> in our fork.
> Hm. No idea... I'd say: just enough that it works :)
>
>> Maybe one of you could jump in here?
> You can add a printenv to our boot.scr right before the bootm is called.
> (uncomment line 488 at http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-uboot.git;a=blob;f=Letux/boot-scr/boot-gta04.txt#l488)
Yes, I will do that in 2 to 3 weeks when lectures will have ended.
Perhaps someone else can be quicker.

>> Am 26.01.2018 um 21:32 schrieb Josua Mayer:
>>> Good day to you all,
>>>
>>> I just want to notify everybody that Debian has finally enabled support
>>> for compressed kernel modules in modprobe!
>>> So maybe we can use compressed modules in the future.
>>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=772628
>>>
>>> According to the changelog entry, they enabled xz.
> That looks interesting.
>
> I recently did something else: strip symbols from the kernel modules...
>
> This reduced them from e.g. 128MB (compressed): http://download.goldelico.com/letux-kernel/letux-4.13/
> down to 6.6MB (compressed): http://download.goldelico.com/letux-kernel/letux-4.14/
What we are interested in is the size of the files on disk, not the size
of the compressed deb.

> So I am not sure what additionally compressing the module binaries will
> improve, considering that it is nowadays difficult to buy µSD cards smaller
> than 4GB...
NAND flash. I still think we will be able to put an OS in there.
But yes, stripping is already reducing size very, very much.

In the bugreport for that feature I also argued that smaller files mean
faster updates on slow (non-UHS-1) sdcards