[Gta04-owner] Little Debian Update

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Jan 29 10:55:59 CET 2018

Hi Josua,

> Am 29.01.2018 um 10:39 schrieb Josua Mayer <josua.mayer97 at gmail.com>:
>
> My bugreport on adding the GTA04 to flash-kernel received a little
> attention:

Good!

> Vagrant Cascadian is asking for a list of u-boot variables that are set
> in our fork.

Hm. No idea... I'd say: just enough that it works :)

> Maybe one of you could jump in here?

You can add a printenv to our boot.scr right before the bootm is called.
(uncomment line 488 at http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-uboot.git;a=blob;f=Letux/boot-scr/boot-gta04.txt#l488)

> Am 26.01.2018 um 21:32 schrieb Josua Mayer:
>> Good day to you all,
>>
>> I just want to notify everybody that Debian has finally enabled support
>> for compressed kernel modules in modprobe!
>> So maybe we can use compressed modules in the future.
>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=772628
>>
>> According to the changelog entry, they enabled xz.

That looks interesting.

I recently did something else: strip symbols from the kernel modules...

This reduced them from e.g. 128MB (compressed): http://download.goldelico.com/letux-kernel/letux-4.13/
down to 6.6MB (compressed): http://download.goldelico.com/letux-kernel/letux-4.14/

So I am not sure what additionally compressing the module binaries will
improve, considering that it is nowadays difficult to buy µSD cards smaller
than 4GB...