[Gta04-owner] how to install stretch the letux way?

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Jan 4 09:38:51 CET 2018

Hi Andreas,

> Am 04.01.2018 um 08:01 schrieb Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info>:
>
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 3 Jan 2018 09:05:44 +0100
>
>>> Am 03.01.2018 um 07:34 schrieb Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info>:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am wondering how I can install a minimal stretch system the
>>> letux-standard way.
>>>
>>> I tried this command to install one on /dev/mmcblk0p3
>>>
>>> DEV=/dev/mmcblk0 ./makesd --debug -i -f2 -f ext4 -r debian -v 20171209-stretch-9.3-armhf -c latest -k latest -d latest -m latest
>>
>> it is almost correct:
>>
>> DEV=/dev/mmcblk0 ./makesd --debug -i -f2 -f ext4 -v 20171209-stretch-9.3-armhf -r debian -c latest -k latest -d latest -m latest
>>
>> the -r option uses the previously defined -v
>>
> well, the result is a kernel with a broken generic battery driver leading to kernel oopses.

That is a known bug of the "latest" kernel which is 4.14.2. Is fixed in 4.15 kernels but
they are still in -rc phase.

So it is not something to blame makesd for.

> But it is a
> stretch.

:)

> On the other hand it is quite hard to install it this way.

What is hard?

> So first I checked that tools for partitioning are not installed and disabled
> the checks in makesd for them.

Well, it looks to me as if you are expecting a feature that does not exist that
way.

There is the idea to just install without full formatting/partitioning (just repartitioning)
without destroying unspecified partitions, but it has severe limitation by how sfdisk and fdisk work.

> So I have to do dry runs, analyse the script to check whether it will access
> the right partitions (the syntax is not intuitive),

Proposal?

> finding out that --dry is
> not that dry, well it is not totally "wet"
> I know I am not using it the main way it was initially designed for.

What do you exactly mean by "--dry is not that dry"? Maybe something is not disabled which should be.
So please file a bug: http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-makesd/issues/

> It would be a lot easier if one could just directly specify the partition,
> like DEV=/dev/disk/by-label/experi ./install-letux-system -v 20171209-stretch-9.3-armhf -r debian -c latest -k latest -d latest -m latest
>
> or
>
> DEV=/dev/disk/by-label/replicant ./install-letux-system -r replicant

> Well it is called makesd for a good reason, not install-a-system.

Yes, and it is not makepartition or makerootfs.

This is a really nice idea... Maybe we can make it work. But it is not that easy
as it looks:
* should we be able to resize the partition or just overwrite existing partitions?
  (then it is quite similar to downloading and unpacking a .tbz which does not even need a new tool)
* should we be able to create new partitions by this scheme?
* how can we detect that the DEV is a partition and not the raw SD card?

> Maybe makesd could be created by embedding an install-letux-system tool into
> a function in makesd or whatever an easy-maintainable solution is. Or maybe
> two scripts which call each other in a deb package, so it is still
> auto-updateable.

Well, two scripts in a package seems to be much more complex than a single script
you can easily wget from the project home page.