[Gta04-owner] is Tizen an option?

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Fri Oct 13 16:01:13 CEST 2017

Hi Josua,

> Am 13.10.2017 um 15:42 schrieb Josua Mayer <josua.mayer97 at gmail.com>:
>
> Hi everybody,
>
> A colleague has been pointing me at Tizen when we talked about the state
> of qtmoko, and the lack of more recent mobile UIs (besides replicant). I
> had no idea Tizen actually provided a phone UI.

It is not even the only one. There are some more projects, e.g. Mer or Plasma Mobile
just to name two.

> What do you think, would this be an option for providing a more widely
> used OS to the gta04?

Yes, sure. Basically we have every option open and everything is welcome!

Even if it needs a special kernel build.

> Is anyone preoccupied about Tizen, perhaps knowing about security flaws
> or incompatibilities?

The main incompatibility is with knowledge how to set it up and adapt
to the hardware :) Most likely it can't start out-of-the box and control
the GTM601 modem or voice or vibramotor or touch etc.

This does not generally rule out to port it, but QtMoko is simply much
better adapted to the GTA04 than everything else (except Replicant where
we already did work intensively on this adaptation).

BTW, there was a similar proposal for porting Ubuntu-Touch and I had
created a mailing list so that a developer team could form. But there
wasn't much activity: http://lists.goldelico.com/mailman/listinfo.cgi/gta04-ubuntu-touch

So the critical point is how much work it will need to adapt something
to the GTA04 (or adapt the GTA04 to something :).