[Gta04-owner] successful boot from usb

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Nov 20 09:06:56 CET 2017

> Am 20.11.2017 um 07:40 schrieb Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info>:
>
> On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 13:28:34 +0100
> Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 23:29:32 +0100
>> Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have hacked the pusb tool a bit so that I could use it to boot the
>>> gta04. The original pusb tool seems to work only at the right moon
>>> phase, the gta04 oriented exactly in north-south direction ;-)
>>>
>>> Now I am a quit independant of that.
>>
>> The results are here:
>> https://github.com/akemnade/omap-u-boot-utils/
>>
>> Now I just have to find out why I can only boot the old SLO that way
>> (on A4).
>

> Well, I found the reason.
> 1. There is MLO and spl/u-boot-spl.bin
> The further has a CHSETTINGS header which can configure things like
> image start address. This header cannot be used for peripheral boots like
> serial or usb, only for flash/mmc boots. So the image start address has to stick
> to the standard.

Ok, this means that MLO is a special variant only.

But did I understand it correctly, we have to strip the headers from spl/u-boot-spl.bin
to make it an image for serial/usb boot?

If we understand that and have a script that does it, we can automatically add
such images to:

http://download.goldelico.com/letux-u-boot/GTA04-OneNAND/latest/

> After I changed that base address, I could load a recent spl from usb.
> I managed to load uboot via ymodem (not that strange kermit anymore) via rs232.
> Next step would be to enable dfu in spl. There is an option in uboot for that.
> But I do not manage to compile u-boot that way.
>
> But what can be more easily managed: Compile dfu into main uboot (well,
> you have to first enable the dfu command, then you can open the dfu menu in uboot menuconfig),
> so it can be enabled on a button in the menu.
> Access to mmc and to ram seems to work, access to onenand cannot be enabled.
> But with dfu to ram, you can e.g. load kernel, fdt and a ramdisk and a script to ram.
> Or load other things to ram and flash it to nand using that script.
> So with that you can basically do a lot of things.

Wow, cool work!

If you have patches for our u-boot git (that do not break OMAP4 & OMAP5), we can integrate them.