[Gta04-owner] successful boot from usb

Andreas Kemnade andreas at kemnade.info
Mon Nov 20 07:40:47 CET 2017

On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 13:28:34 +0100
Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info> wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 23:29:32 +0100
> Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have hacked the pusb tool a bit so that I could use it to boot the
> > gta04. The original pusb tool seems to work only at the right moon
> > phase, the gta04 oriented exactly in north-south direction ;-)
> >
> > Now I am a quit independant of that.
>
> The results are here:
> https://github.com/akemnade/omap-u-boot-utils/
>
> Now I just have to find out why I can only boot the old SLO that way
> (on A4).

Well, I found the reason.
1. There is MLO and spl/u-boot-spl.bin
The further has a CHSETTINGS header which can configure things like
image start address. This header cannot be used for peripheral boots like
serial or usb, only for flash/mmc boots. So the image start address has to stick
to the standard.

After I changed that base address, I could load a recent spl from usb.
I managed to load uboot via ymodem (not that strange kermit anymore) via rs232.
Next step would be to enable dfu in spl. There is an option in uboot for that.
But I do not manage to compile u-boot that way.

But what can be more easily managed: Compile dfu into main uboot (well,
you have to first enable the dfu command, then you can open the dfu menu in uboot menuconfig),
so it can be enabled on a button in the menu.
Access to mmc and to ram seems to work, access to onenand cannot be enabled.
But with dfu to ram, you can e.g. load kernel, fdt and a ramdisk and a script to ram.
Or load other things to ram and flash it to nand using that script.
So with that you can basically do a lot of things.

Regards,
Andreas