[Gta04-owner] suggestions for rootfs

Jonas Smedegaard jonas at jones.dk
Tue Jan 31 23:02:26 CET 2017

Quoting H. Nikolaus Schaller (2017-01-31 19:57:24)
> Hi Jonas,
>
> > Am 31.01.2017 um 19:41 schrieb Jonas Smedegaard <jonas at jones.dk>:
> >
> > Quoting Andreas Kemnade (2017-01-31 17:22:46)
> >> here are some ideas for rootfs.
> >>
> >> 1. /etc/default/rcS
> >> FSCKFIX=yes
> >>
> >> Well, no chance to press an y key on the gta04, so this at least
> >> give some chances to have it booted.
>
> When is this needed? I could so far use the RS232 console to type the
> y if needed.

It is needed when pre-mount routines detect disk corruption that is
risky to repair, i.e. where you might want to make a backup before
aggressively trying to fix the errors.  If you are at a terminal, it
will prompt you if you wanna proceed, but just hangs if you are not at a
terminal - e.g. a remote server or an embedded device like a phone (not
in debug mode).

> > Only relevant when the package sysvinit-core is installed.  By
> > default with both current and upcoming stable debian, systemd-sysv
> > is installed instead, which does not use that hint - and in upcoming
> > stable release the file is not installed at all by default (so
> > ensure that automated tweaking scripts check existence of the file
> > before editing!).
> >
> > Beware that "not default" implies "less tested"!  It is close to
> > impossible to avoid systemd on Debian nowadays: If you try, you will
> > quite likely end up with a system running poorly tested code as init
> > and _still_ load systemd code indirectly through e.g. the SSH daemon
> > (unless you aggressively avoid well-tested tools and e.g. use
> > dropbear for ssh).
>
> Basically we have a rootfs that must fit into the 512MB NAND flash
> limitation (which is more like 450MB) and have something useable in
> NAND flash for demos or as a fallback if there is no woking µSD
> installed (which has none of these limitations).
>
> With stripping languages and manuals I was able to get a working NAND
> partition filled by just 99% (incl. kernel modules) where you still
> can run apt-get upgrade (IMHO the package list cache has grown very
> much). With Debian 7 it was never a problem to fit it into NAND.
>
> So some questions related to Debian 9 to make the right decisions: how
> much space does it need on a rootfs compared to Debian 8.7? Has it
> grown or did it shrink? Which one needs more space in rootfs: systemd
> or sysvinit?

That obviously depends quite a lot on what you consider a "need".

At the work session I attended, I tried to trim your bootstrapping
script, but you reverted that with the argument that e.g. development
tools was quite handy to have available...

You can also remove /usr/share/doc - for a personally built system.  For
a system distributed to others, all /usr/share/doc/*/copyright files
must be preserved.  It is possible to instruct dpkg to automatically
skip installing parts of the system, instead of installing fully and
then removing again afterwards. I believe the package localepurge
optionally trains dpkg, and I suspect it can be configured to also strip
additional non-locale-related stuff.

 - Jonas