[Gta04-owner] suggestions for rootfs

Andreas Kemnade andreas at kemnade.info
Tue Jan 31 20:38:48 CET 2017

Hi Nikolaus,

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 19:57:24 +0100

> Hi Jonas,
>
> > Am 31.01.2017 um 19:41 schrieb Jonas Smedegaard <jonas at jones.dk>:
> >
> > Quoting Andreas Kemnade (2017-01-31 17:22:46)
> >> here are some ideas for rootfs.
> >>
> >> 1. /etc/default/rcS
> >> FSCKFIX=yes
> >>
> >> Well, no chance to press an y key on the gta04, so this at least
> >> give some chances to have it booted.
>
> When is this needed? I could so far use the RS232 console to type the
> y if needed.

Well, if you are doing development at home and have the RS232 cable
you can do that.
I have not always my laptop with me when I have the GTA04 with me.
It is good for development tasks to be able to open the case and have
the cable.
But since I have a limited amount of cases here it is a good idea to
avoid wear of them by not open them too often.

Of course I can boot to another partition to fix it from there. But
that is nasty because you first have to understand what is going on.

> > Only relevant when the package sysvinit-core is installed.  By
> > default with both current and upcoming stable debian, systemd-sysv
> > is installed instead, which does not use that hint - and in
> > upcoming stable release the file is not installed at all by default
> > (so ensure that automated tweaking scripts check existence of the
> > file before editing!).
> >
> > Beware that "not default" implies "less tested"!  It is close to
> > impossible to avoid systemd on Debian nowadays: If you try, you will
> > quite likely end up with a system running poorly tested code as
> > init and _still_ load systemd code indirectly through e.g. the SSH
> > daemon (unless you aggressively avoid well-tested tools and e.g.
> > use dropbear for ssh).
>
> Basically we have a rootfs that must fit into the 512MB NAND flash
> limitation (which is more like 450MB) and have something useable in
> NAND flash for demos or as a fallback if there is no woking µSD
> installed (which has none of these limitations).

Hmm, aren't these flash file systems (jffs2/ubifs) compressed or can be?
So that you have more space.

Regards,
Andreas