[Gta04-owner] GTA04(A5) Camera (OV9655)

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Fri Jan 20 21:44:23 CET 2017

Hi,

> Am 20.01.2017 um 21:17 schrieb Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info>:
>
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 20 Jan 2017 12:53:17 +0100
>

>> That needs just some trial and error steps... And a comparison with
>> our old ov9655 driver.
>>
> just tried to check my old working setup. I dug out my photo program
> which I had in my armle system but never recompiled for armhf. And when
> I wanted to use it, I had no access to my backup...
> Ok taking my favourite 3.7 kernel and tried the known-working
> setup. No success
> ov9655 2-0030: OV9655 not detected, can't read manufacturer id
> So I cannot contribute with information from a working setup...

AFAIR, Camera did never work properly in 3.7 so IMHO this does not indicate
that your camera is defective.

I just tested some minutes ago how to (re)install a working version.

The known good kernel is 3.12.7 and this debian wheezy image:

http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/production/20140522-gta04.dd.bz2

To really use this image:
* unpack onto /dev/sd
* insert SD card
* boot gta04 !!! this will flash an old MLO/U-Boot !!! so you may have to restore after experiments
* reboot (or kernel will not have loaded kernel modules)
* make ethernet over USB (or WLAN) working
* apt-get update
* apt-get install media-ctl mplayer
* PATH=$PATH:/usr/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf
* . x --- to setup X server access from console
* /root/camera-demo

Not very user-fiendly, but provides enough challenges for happy hacking :)

It is good enough for me to read out the register settings of the camera
module through i2c and compare to and fix my latest 4.10 kernel code.

I have already compared the camera signals and they look to be the same.
This means that basic camera initialization works and the missing piece
is indeed setup of the omap3isp through DT.

>> Since this runs on one of the 3 working GTA04A5 preproduction units, I
>> think we can now order more camera modules without wasting money...
>>
>> What I would need is some indication of demand.
>>
> If that one is broken, definitively a
> +1
> for me.

Noted!