[Gta04-owner] QtMoko snapshot

Andreas Kemnade andreas at kemnade.info
Sun Dec 31 17:04:36 CET 2017

On Sun, 31 Dec 2017 12:00:04 +0100

> > Have at least dual partition. On one partition
> > you have a system in a well-known state, so you have a fallback
> > whenever something does not work. Or use that partition to debug what
> > happens in the other partition.
>
> Well, this is mainly a developer's view. Users rarely change or break things
> that often and the full size of the SD card may be more important than dividing
> it by 2.

I really do not think so. I am talking also about my experience as a
user who does not carry around another smartphone with him.
On an ordinary PC, a user testing linux (or another operating system)
for a first time would not delete his windows partition, but rather
configure a dual boot or testing it on separate device.
The same situation I see here if someone wants to use *testing*
snapshots (except that one rarely has a separate gta04).

> I do it slightly different that I boot a well known system from NAND to
> inspect the SD card or pull it out and inspect it on a different system.

well, pulling out the sd card and inspect it in another system does not
work so well on the road. Maybe you find out that some rarely needed
feature does not work and you need to use it, so you go back easily.
Or just your most important timetable/booking page does not work with
the newly installed system.

> Anyways, setting up such an SD card with makesd is quite simple:
>
> DEV=/dev/sdb ./makesd lxde lxde
>
> makes two ext4 partitions with the (initially) same lxde.

Yes, it can do a lot of nice things, so you can happily advertise such a
key feature.

Regards,
Andreas