[Gta04-owner] QtMoko snapshot

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sun Dec 31 12:00:04 CET 2017

Hi,

> Am 31.12.2017 um 11:46 schrieb Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info>:
>
> On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 21:52:24 +0100
>
>>> What should I do to install a debian ready to install the test the new
>>> qtmoko?
>>> I don't want to try such experience again :/
>>
>> What I plan is to set up my build-server in a way that it produces
>> a qtmoko image that you can install on an SD card with makesd.
>>
>> This should then be fail-safe.
>>
>> Generally you should use a single-partition SD card for such experiments
>> since it can't overwrite the boot loader then.
>>
> Why single-partition?

In my wording "Single-partition" means that there is no bootable FAT partition
that could interfere with MLO&U-Boot.

> Have at least dual partition. On one partition
> you have a system in a well-known state, so you have a fallback
> whenever something does not work. Or use that partition to debug what
> happens in the other partition.

Well, this is mainly a developer's view. Users rarely change or break things
that often and the full size of the SD card may be more important than dividing
it by 2.

I do it slightly different that I boot a well known system from NAND to
inspect the SD card or pull it out and inspect it on a different system.

Anyways, setting up such an SD card with makesd is quite simple:

DEV=/dev/sdb ./makesd lxde lxde

makes two ext4 partitions with the (initially) same lxde.

What does not yet work (because some tar packages are missing) is

DEV=/dev/sdb ./makesd qtmoko lxde xfce replicant

to make a 4-partition "Zombie" card with everything :)