[Gta04-owner] QtMoko - progress

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Dec 26 23:26:32 CET 2017

Hi,

> Am 26.12.2017 um 22:04 schrieb Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info>:
>
> Hi,
>
> my cubietruck had a hard christmas.

:)

I had started the wheezy build remotely on an Letux Cortex 8 board
(Single core 700 MHz AM3358 with 512MB RAM and swap space) connected
to the goldelico web server and it did succeed with Wheezy after a
total of ca. 35 hours.

Here is my 2.4GB result of this process:

http://download.goldelico.com/letux-debian-rootfs/?C=M;O=D

But beware - it is NOT the QtMoko image for the GTA04. The wrapper
script does not extract the real debian package but the build
result incl. the wheezy chroot :) So the qtmoko image that has been
built should be found in some subdirectory.

At the moment I have no means to do further testing or inspection.

Thanks to your idea to reactivate the "native" build, we have really
great progress!

> Results: I could now successfully compile qtmoko on jessie.
> The README file is updated. I just need tslib packages from wheezy.
> But I will probably get rid of that easily.

Yes. The latest kernels just provide standard kernel input_events.
So it might suffice to replace tslib with reading the events directly.

> The source is at
> https://github.com/akemnade/qtmoko.git
>
> The branch
> dt-kernel-adaptions
> contains various patches for working with 4.x kernels.

I have looked through it and it is indeed not much to do!
This was my basic assumption to perpetually bring up the
topic of modernizing QtMoko...

The biggest barrier was to get it compiled. And we have managed
to break through!

> Things I know which needs still to be done:
> - configure touchscreen properly, get rid of tslib (I still
>  - this includes some configure files and disabling tslib support in qt

Maybe a patch is not much more difficult than e.g. the board version
detection.

Basically we have to open("/dev/input/touchscreen", 0) and read the
linux input events (struct input_event) and translate to QtE events.

This could also need a select() or non-blocking but I don't know
how QtE handles this. Maybe they already have an evdev driver so
that it is just configuration and no code like for GPS?

Calibration isn't needed since we have the precalibration in the
later kernels.

> - audio settings

AFAIR, QtMoko uses amixer state files and these have to be updated
since some mixer controls have changed names and function between
3.7 and 4.15 kernels...

>  - new swtiches in kernel >4.10

Great!

> And the biggest thing probably: general cleanup and port to qt5

For general cleanup my dream is to get rid of the scripts/build-package-gta04.sh

It should be possible to apt-get source the source file tree and
simply build like any other debian package from sources.

This dream seems now to be reachable.

> But now I first have to clean up my sd card to have more rootfs.

Well, my Letux Cortex 8 has a 200GB SD card. That is plenty of space :)