[Gta04-owner] host ap experiments

Andreas Kemnade andreas at kemnade.info
Fri Feb 5 07:36:45 CET 2016

Hi,

On Fri, 5 Feb 2016 01:11:17 +0100
Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli <GNUtoo at no-log.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Dec 2015 17:20:11 +0100
> Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have taken some older libertas_tf fork and adapted it to a 4.3
> > kernel. That means, hostapd can be used so that the gta04 can be
> > used as an wifi access point.
> [...]
> > https://github.com/akemnade/linux.git branch v4.3-wifi-lbtf
> That's really nice. Do you have any idea on how to get that code
> mainlined. I didn't try because the git branch I took the patches from
> didn't have a sign-off-by. At that time there also was no way to
> redistribute the thin firmware firmware, even if you could download it
> from some mailing list.

Maybe there are enough parts with a signed-off for being able to put
something together. The driver is also in our 2,6,32-hwvalidation
branch. For me the top priority is to have libertas working in a sane
way and upstream that.
Mainline has no sdio and no ap mode support. The firmware for the usb
variant is e.g. in the debian firmware package.
For sdio, I do not remember that it was somehow difficult to find at
the time I first tried it. It was not an obscure place.

The main reason for playing with the driver for me:
a) I would love to attach something other to the mmc slot for being
able to better
distinguish whether sdio host or card code is broken.
b) AP mode.

> Having a thinner firmware is very desirable. I wonder how easy would
> it be to reverse that firmware.

Having a thinner firmware has its pros and cons. The host cpu has to do
more things. At the moment I have not seen any version of the
libertas_tf driver which has good power management. For the libertas
driver I had recently enabled some more power saving so that it does not
hurt that much if you have wifi enabled.
Maybe with an opensource firmware there would be chances to better do
that.

> I vaguely remember some attempt from the OLPC people to do that, but
> at the time they used the USB version of a chip compatible with
> libertas_tf.
>
> The idea is also to get WiFi support in Replicant somehow out of the
> box.

You mean by not needing any binary stuff even if it does not run on the
main processor?

Regards,
Andreas