[Gta04-owner] host ap experiments

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at no-log.org
Fri Feb 5 01:11:17 CET 2016

On Wed, 23 Dec 2015 17:20:11 +0100
Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have taken some older libertas_tf fork and adapted it to a 4.3
> kernel. That means, hostapd can be used so that the gta04 can be used
> as an wifi access point.
[...]
> https://github.com/akemnade/linux.git branch v4.3-wifi-lbtf
That's really nice. Do you have any idea on how to get that code
mainlined. I didn't try because the git branch I took the patches from
didn't have a sign-off-by. At that time there also was no way to
redistribute the thin firmware firmware, even if you could download it
from some mailing list.

Having a thinner firmware is very desirable. I wonder how easy would it
be to reverse that firmware.

I vaguely remember some attempt from the OLPC people to do that, but at
the time they used the USB version of a chip compatible with
libertas_tf.

The idea is also to get WiFi support in Replicant somehow out of the
box.

Denis.