[Gta04-owner] OpenPhoenux Letux/GTA04 Kernel- and Userspace-Hacking weekend

Josua Mayer josua.mayer97 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 17:25:09 CEST 2016

Hi Nikolaus,

Am 21.04.2016 um 16:33 schrieb H. Nikolaus Schaller:
> Hi all,
> finally, we have now defined the location and weekend dates:
>
> 4 & 5 June 2016 in Munich
> And there is a question I want to rise in advance: and wihc should have been answered when
> we begin to work.
>
> What is easier:
> a) porting existing complete QtMoko/QPE source and build system to build and run on Debian Jessie
> b) or rewriting/porting just the most important QtMoko applications to Qt5 (which is
>     easily available in Debian Jessie and works within minutes on a GTA04 - I have tested)?
>
> Opinions?

I think option b is easier, because we can then work in parallel on
individual apps and avoid the bottleneck of
getting-the-build-system-to-work.

But I personally would suggest a third option:
c) write new build-system for QtMoko while keeping qt4 as a base
(actually this is not so different from b), right?)

I remember myself struggling to understand how that current build-system
works. Eventually I realized that there are first-level meta options
that configure evaluates, only to then call itself again with less
readable arguments. Then there are many many variables in the configure
script, few are clear, many have side-effects and I did not manage to
prevent it from trying to build its own copy of Qt.
And I think we really want to avoid building Qt as part of QtMoko.
Imo it would still be fine if we used a special qt-embedded build on top
of Framebuffer, only it should be built seperately. This way one builds
it, we all take a copy and start hacking.

> BR,
> Nikolaus

br
Josua Mayer