[Gta04-owner] Which distri

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Sep 24 16:26:55 CEST 2015

Hi Adrien,

Am 23.09.2015 um 20:29 schrieb Adrien Dorsaz <adrien at adorsaz.ch>:

> Hello,
>
> Le lun 21 sep 2015 à 20:50, H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com> a écrit :
>> What we need is fixing the sources/trees/instructions/whatever to make
>> it compile again. Either in a qemu image (e.g. http://download.goldelico.com/gta04-debian-lxde/qemu-wheezy-vexpress/ )
>> or by separating into self-contained source packages that can be compiled
>> on a GTA04 with Debian installed.
>
> Well, I've tried and I was able to compile QtMoko on Qemu aournd 2 years ago (soon !).
> (I took some notes on my Redmine: https://redmine.adorsaz.ch/projects/qtmoko_/wiki )

Ah, nice to know!

What I tried is to cast Radek’s descrtption what steps to do into a shell script that automatically
starts qemu and runs another script inside (to apply all the sed and other patches).

It worked for approx. 30 hours, did build Qt three times (neo, gta04, pc) incl . WebKit and started
to compile QtMoko applications. But then failed with a cryptic error message. And no useable result.

It wasn’t even possible to continue where it stopped.

> Maybe I can give a try with your qemu image.
>
> First we should try to compile latest QtMoko with old kernel (that's what I should be able to do).
> Next step will be to compile it with recent kernel I think.

I think compiling QtMoko is independent of the kernel version. It may not be able to provide all features (if they depend on /sys APIs).

IMHO, the result should just be debian packages that can be installed on top of any debian system (assuming a Debian compatible kernel).

> I think that porting to Jessie will require too much efforts (even if Radek was able to port it from Squeeze to Wheezy almost alone IIRC).

Agreed. Jessie is another beast. The move to systemd is quite significant.

> If the 4.2 kernel doesn’t drain too fast the battery, it could make sense to try the port if Replicant drains the battery too fast.

Basically my dream goes far beyond: make QtMoko independent of the kernel and system

This would mean:
* pack all sources (qt libraries and qtmoko main application split up into manageable parts) into debian source packages
* make it possible to compile everything through debian build system, including the required qt libraries
* installation on top of a running Debian base system is just “apt-get install qtmoko”
* make it run on non-GTA04 devices (Neo900, Pyra, OpenPandora, …)

Well, this is a major task - and I failed even before the first step…

>> IMHO the main problem is that it does not use standard Qt which can be
>> installed from Debian repositories, but needs to (cross)-compile some older
>> fork first. If someone could provide pre-built dev-packages of that it would
>> also simplify development significantly…
>
> And I think that if Replicant is not too bad on GTA04, it will be more interesseting to use it, because nowadays standard Qt is able to build applications for Android.

Indeed.

On the other hand not everyone is happy with Android/Replicant because of potential security issues.

Then, QtMoko could be a simple, lightweight alternative. That is why I think QtMoko is still important.