[Gta04-owner] How to preorder?

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sun Sep 20 18:02:48 CEST 2015

Hi,

Am 20.09.2015 um 17:28 schrieb George Refseth <george.refseth at arxi.no>:

> Den 20. sep. 2015 16:46, skrev H. Nikolaus Schaller:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am 18.09.2015 um 19:32 schrieb Butrus Damaskus <butrus.butrus at gmail.com>:
>>

>>> Some components we have decided:
>>> * WiFi will become Texas Instruments WL1835MOD (WL1837MOD is a question of price)
>>>
>>> Does it mean there could be a 5GHz variant?
>>
>> Yes, we could easily build it. We have two chip antennae and they have the same dimensions
>> for 2.4 GHz and 5.8GHz WiFi. We just need to swap the module and one antenna chip.
>
> If there is room for only one antenna,

there is room for two antennas. The GTA04A3/4 already has two (one for Bluetooth and one for WLAN).

The GTA04A5 also gets two. But depending on the module variant one will be used for WLAN+BT and the other
one also for 2.4 GHz WLAN (antenna diversity) or 5.8 GHz WLAN.

> then one would have to choose by choosing antenna chip even if the WL1837MOD supports dual band.
> What would the benefits  of choosing 5GHz - band over 2.4GHz be? Power/Bandwith/Range?

Power demand is the same. But usually less pollution of the frequency band by microwave ovens,
blutooth devices and WiFi of the neighbours. Range is probably lower.