[Gta04-owner] 4.3-rc6 available

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Oct 29 17:50:08 CET 2015

Am 29.10.2015 um 07:23 schrieb Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info>:

> On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 23:11:46 +0200
> Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 07:14:04 +0200

>>> Here is what I see in sysfs:
>>>
>>> root at gta04:~# cat /sys/class/power_supply/twl4030_usb/max_current
>>> 100000
>>> root at gta04:~# cat /sys/class/power_supply/twl4030_usb/mode
>>> off [auto] continuous
>>> root at gta04:~# cat /sys/class/power_supply/twl4030_usb/current_now
>>> cat: /sys/class/power_supply/twl4030_usb/current_now: No data available
>>> root at gta04:~# cat /sys/class/power_supply/twl4030_usb/online
>>> 0
>>> root at gta04:~# cat /sys/class/power_supply/twl4030_usb/status
>>> Not charging
>>> root at gta04:~# cat /sys/class/power_supply/twl4030_usb/voltage_now
>>> cat: /sys/class/power_supply/twl4030_usb/voltage_now: No data available
>>> root at gta04:~#
>>>
>>> So there is not even a trickle charge with 100 mA because the charger
>>> does not detect that USB is connected.
>>>
>>> BTW: USB is working since I did ssh into the device over this USB cable...
>>>
>> Hmm, USB starves after some time here. It is not detected on my computer.
>> About charging. I just did a reboot from my 3.7-wheezy setup into my
>> 4.3-rc6 setup. Even with that: no charging.
>> Once that evil kernel is booted, even reboots into 3.7. do not
>> reenable charging. Neither does uboot systest ch. Fascinating...
>>
> Somehow I managed to enable charging last evening. I have just to check
> what was the cause.
> bci->transceiver was NULL
> At least I know that the hackisch twl4030_charger_enable_usb_ext
> was missing. It is used from  drivers/phy/phy-twl4030-usb.c
> There has to be a cleaner way to get to the bci pointer from there.
> But why that did not break usb completely?

I have found a different fix. It is a problem when bci->transceiver is not
yet probed but returns EPROBE_DEFER.

Then it works even without the hackish twl4030_charger_enable_usb_ext
in drivers/phy/phy-twl4030-usb.c i.e. if I checkout the official drivers/phy/phy-twl4030-usb.c
into our tree.

So I think we can remove that hack completely.

I will send two patches for LKML for deeper discussion now.