[Gta04-owner] GTA04-Kernel 3.17.0

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Oct 27 12:04:38 CET 2014

Hi Radek,

Am 27.10.2014 um 11:30 schrieb Radek Polak <psonek2 at seznam.cz>:

> On Monday, October 27, 2014 10:15:09 Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>
> > Who is testing what repo.
>
> It was always pleasure to test Neil’s repo for me..

is this meant to imply (sometimes it might be important what has not been said),
that it is not a pleasure to test the gta04-kernel repo?

If yes, what are the hurdles?

> > And
> > how does it fit into the hierarchy which ends at kernel.org?
> >
> > My idea would be:
> >
> > marek belisko
> > + neil brown
> > + nikolaus schaller
> > + others    —-> gta04-kernel —-> reformatting —-> upstreaming —->
> > linus/master  —-+ ^—————————————————————————————
> > instead of
> > neil brown ————————————————————^
> >
> > (I hope the drawing is readable)
>
> Central repository is wrong concept. If you cant handle upstream changes (which involves resolving conflicts and rebasing), you should think if your model is really the good one.

Yes, I agree that a model that can’t handle upstreaming is not a good one.

Since we are constantly upstreaming from the gta04-kernel repo (using this model
since approx. 12 months) without significant issues [1], you must be talking
about something different.

Therefore I ask for testing and submitting patches. You don’t even have to
take care of upstreaming (because we do), so it should be easier to contribute
missing pieces, especially for people starting to do kernel development.

[1]: search https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/LKML/list/ for marek or me