[Gta04-owner] GTA04-Kernel 3.17.0

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Sun Oct 26 12:25:00 CET 2014

On Mon, 6 Oct 2014 13:03:39 +0200 "Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller"
<hns at goldelico.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> Linus has released the Kernel 3.17.0 tonight and I have upgraded our kernel sources as well.

It's been a while .... but SUSE declared last week to be "hackweek" for the
engineer so I combined it with a hackweekend and have been exploring 3.17.

I started with vanilla 3.17 - which boots and quite a lot works.  A lot has
changed in the 12 months since I last spent much time on this - thanks for
all the bits that have been pushed upsteam!

With a booting 3.17, I started looking for problems and fixing things, partly
with reference to your kernel, but mostly just hunting around to try to
understand what was going on.

> And, we still have not yet fixed all kernel bugs in our GTA04 extensions. Most notably are:
> * WiFi power management

I spent about two days on this, mostly beating my head against a brick wall.
I think I have it mostly working.  There are a couple of unresolved issues
and I got the driver to hang a couple of times, but in general the power
management works and I get 6Mb/sec.

I've also added a proof-of-concept for a new approach to managing devices
attached via UART.
I have the bluetooth powering up/down correctly.  I haven't looked at GPS yet
(ran out of time), but it should be fairly straight forward.

Strangely the bma150 driver isn't working properly even though it hasn't
changed.  It always returns zeros.
I looked at the code and  bma150_set_mode is basically a no-op, so I don't
know how it ever worked.  But the iio bma180 driver works OK, so I'll use
that.

Things that I know don't work include:
 - gyroscope -- I get a strange i2c error
 - GSM audio routing
 - headset detection
 - camera, FM radio, TV-out .. all things that I have never used.

I haven't tested the USB port at all as the socket broke off my test board.
Similarly I haven't looked at charging much, so various enhancement aren't
present.
I also haven't measured power usage.

I'll try sending some of the simple stuff up-stream in the next week or two,
and hope to find time to get the audio working properly.  Then I'll try it
on my main phone and see how it goes.

The code can be found in the "3.17-gta04" branch of my git tree:
  git://neil.brown.name/gta04

and

  http://git.neil.brown.name/?p=gta04.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/3.17-gta04

it at least, it should appear there soon one the 'git push' completes.

NeilBrown