[Gta04-owner] GTA04-Kernel 3.17.0

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Oct 6 13:03:39 CEST 2014

Hi all,
Linus has released the Kernel 3.17.0 tonight and I have upgraded our kernel sources as well.

Unfortunately we did not get much upstream in 3.17 but for 3.18 we will see more things come.

And, we still have not yet fixed all kernel bugs in our GTA04 extensions. Most notably are:
* WiFi power management
* GPS antenna
* Camera
* general power management (before we have not fixed the bugs it is pointless to dig into power improvements)
* sound
* rfkill modem control

So it is not as good for daily use as the 3.7 kernel and even the 3.12 kernel is a little better.
But the DT work is almost complete - and won't change much in the future.

A major achievement is that the same kernel binary and set of module binaries runs on all
GTA04 variantes (L2804, L3704, L7004) as well as on the PandaBoard (OMAP4) and the
Pyra prototypes (OMAP5). For the Pyra we can now evaluate two different MIPI panels.

The same kernel will also be used to bring up the hardware of the Neo900 prototypes.

This is a very stable basis to develop more user-space code that runs on a broader set of
devices. And if you happen to own a PandaBoard ES or even an OMAP5432EVM, we are
proud that we can provide an actively developed kernel with more features than Robert
Nelson's work.

All known bugs are reported here:
http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-kernel/issues/

If you find others, please report.

And, if you want to contribute, you are very welcome!

Finally I would like to invite all original authors who had contributed to the 3.7 kernel to
check that our patches are still ok... We do not always know what has been patched and
why and we might have introduced flaws (e.g. by wrongly resolving merge conflicts).