[Gta04-owner] Upstreaming GTA04-GPS driver...

Boudewijn wankelwankel at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 20 21:45:20 CEST 2014

On Monday 20 October 2014 19:28:28 Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> Hi,
> we have updated the GPS driver that (...) works completely well with device
tree in the 3.17.0 kernel.
:-)
> Therefore we have submitted it for inclusion in 3.19…
:-)
> But so far they do reject it.
:-(

> Please read the full discussion we have had so far here:
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/10/16/634
Thanks to previous discussions on our list and the extensive commentary in the
code, I can follow what's happening and why. After a lot of chewing I might be
able to follow the code, but giving arguments in favour or help on an
alternative are beyond me.
Pity Arnd did not yet give a reply in the later thread.

> Now we need your help.
>
> Either by finding arguments why our solution is the right one.
> Or help transform the driver to the binding they did recommend.
The only thing that comes to mind, is a misconception about the driver based
on the name. After reading the full mail and having the discussion, both Mark
and Arnd must understand that it is not a GPS-driver for the actual GPS-
funtionality but more of a virtual multiway switch (as is described in the
conversation; what came to my mind is decribed as 'the traveler system' [0] on
wikipedia) for a generic device that happens to produce an EMEA stream because
there's a GPS

What I understand from x is that he dislikes the inferred state of the device,
which is exactly what we have been disliking about the device for a couple of
years now ;-)

Best regards,

Boudewijn

[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiway_switching#Traveler_system