[Gta04-owner] Upstreaming GTA04-GPS driver...

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Oct 20 19:28:28 CEST 2014

Hi,
we have updated the GPS driver that Neil originally did write to properly
use device tree and the pinmux framework for some tricks.
It works completely well with device tree in the 3.17.0 kernel.

Therefore we have submitted it for inclusion in 3.19…

But so far they do reject it.

Everything appears to be fine, except that we expose some virtual gpio, i.e.
make the device a gpio-controller with 1 gpio and want to control it by an
extension of the UART driver that Neil already did have in mainline.

Unfortunately they did throw it out in 3.15 or so because no driver did use
it at that time (neil’t original GPS driver wasn’t accepted) and Neil did not
ask for help to maintain it and therefore agreed that it was reverted.

The technical argument they have is that such a virtual (i.e. not physically
existing) gpio is a “hack” and not a good design pattern. And it is not
extensible or generic.

Please read the full discussion we have had so far here:

https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/10/16/634
https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/10/20/136

Now we need your help.

Either by finding arguments why our solution is the right one.
Or help transform the driver to the binding they did recommend.

Actions?