[Gta04-owner] Further 3.17 kernel development for GTA04

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Thu Nov 6 00:03:59 CET 2014

On Wed, 5 Nov 2014 13:29:50 +0100 "Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller"
<hns at goldelico.com> wrote:

> Am 05.11.2014 um 12:06 schrieb Folken <folken at kabelsalat.ch>:
>
> > On Mon, Nov 03, 2014 at 07:00:42AM +0100, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> >> Hm. I am not happy that there is no rfkill. Well, someone commented that
> >> GPS is not a transmitter, but Linux provides the rfkill gps switch (and we have
> >> not introduced it). And, basically the antenna amplifier might transmit (if it runs
> >> out of control) so it is safer in an airplane situation to be able to turn off the
> >> LNA power explicitly.
> >
> > GPS recievers use an oscilliator. This oscilliator interferes with
> > nearby equipment. This is the reason why all the gps equipment installation
> > manuals say that there should be at least 30cm between gps recievers.
> > So IMO an rfkill should be favoured.

That's useful information - thanks.

Two questions:

 1/ is it sufficient to just remove power from the antenna,
    or is it also necessary to turn off the GPS device, in order
    to prevent interference caused by the oscillator?

 2/ The CPU has an oscillator as well - to keep time.  What is the
    important difference between that oscillator and the GPS oscillator?
    Different frequency?  More isolation?  No antenna?

Thanks a lot,

NeilBrown