[Gta04-owner] Kernel 3.16-rc2

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Jun 23 14:13:54 CEST 2014

Hi,

Am 23.06.2014 um 13:34 schrieb Benjamin Deering:

> On 06/23/2014 01:43 AM, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Linus has become faster than ever. Just 12 days after 3.15.0 he has already published 3.16-rc2…
>>
>> I have merged it with our tree and please test and have a look into the diffs/patches and issues:
>>
>> 	https://intranet.goldelico.de/git/?p=gta04-kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/3.16-rc2
>> 	http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-kernel/issues/
>>
>> And please support this either by spending some time testing or programming or small donations are also welcome!
>>
>> 	http://shop.goldelico.com/wiki.php?page=GTA04%3ADonation
>>
>> BR,
>> Nikolaus

> Thank you for all your work on this,
>
> I might be able to help, but I am new to device tree and have a couple questions:

that would be great.

> Which device-tree do I use?  I see several.  My device is a gta04a4 from the group tour.
>
> Is it correct that I run
>
> cat arch/arm/boot/dts/omap3-gta04.dtb >> arch/arm/boot/zImage
>
> before making uImage to use a devicetree?

Just install the latest u-boot to NAND flash (no need to reflash the kernel/rootfs) from

	http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/20140610-GTA04-beta-3.15.0-wheezy-7.5/

It will automatically detect which board you have, load the correct device tree file
and therefore you can copy all of them to the SD card. And there is no need to append
it to the zImage any more.

After flashing the new u-boot, it is sufficient to have some ext2/3/4 partition which
provides /boot/uImage, /boot/*.dtb and /boot/bootargs.scr

An example of such a bootable single partition image can be found here:

	http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/debian/

If you compile your own kernel and device tree binaries, just replace them on /path/to/SD/boot

Finally, the whole concept of the device tree migration for GTA04 is described here:

	http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-main/downloads/55/