[Gta04-owner] Kernel 3.16-rc2

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Jun 23 12:44:05 CEST 2014

Am 23.06.2014 um 12:30 schrieb Paul Kocialkowski <contact at paulk.fr>:

> Le lundi 23 juin 2014 à 07:43 +0200, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller a écrit :
>> Hi,
>> Linus has become faster than ever. Just 12 days after 3.15.0 he has
>> already published 3.16-rc2…
>>
>> I have merged it with our tree and please test and have a look into
>> the diffs/patches and issues:
>>
>> https://intranet.goldelico.de/git/?p=gta04-kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/3.16-rc2
>> 	http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-kernel/issues/
>
> Note that the twl4030 madc patch, to have reliable values for headset
> detection, was merged in 3.16-rc2, so you won't have to import it.

Thanks for notification!

> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=e0326be0cded13dfc3a24cbeece1f1ae64348a0e

It is even simpler since we already had imported it on top if 3.15-rc8 :)

See: http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-kernel.git;a=history;f=drivers/iio/adc/twl4030-madc.c;h=eb86786e698eabf702655f9f974c9639956169c7;hb=refs/heads/3.16-rc2

And git merge is clever enough to import it not again.

So in a first step we were on linus/master. Then we added the patch and were ahead of linus/master. Now linus/master has added the patch. Finally, we are again on linus/master.

This is how it should work :) We have patches against our kernel, and include them in the goldelico/3.x-rc series for testing. And submit them for upstreaming. After a while they "will come back" through linus/master.

Sometimes like a boomerang: if someone changed/merged our submissions so that they are not identical to what we initially had. But fortunately this is rare.