[Gta04-owner] AS3935 in GTA04?

Andreas Kemnade andreas at kemnade.info
Sun Jun 15 22:25:44 CEST 2014

Hi,

On Mon, 14 Apr 2014 22:51:41 +0200
"Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:

> Am 14.04.2014 um 22:20 schrieb Andreas Kemnade:
>
> > Hi,

> >> Yes, if you can connect the interrupt to the KEYIRQ input.
> >>
> >> One other thing to consider: it looks as if you need a 1.8V to 3.3V
> >> I2C level shifter (TXB0201) and another one for the interrupt (unless
> >> it is an open drain output).
> >>
> > Hmm, IMHO I could connect that chip to a 2.5V power source (vaux1?),
>
> Yes, VAUX1 is spare and intended for such use.
>
> One general hint: please use very very thin copper wires if you solder directly
> to the test points or you easily may rip them off by pulling on the cable. And
> then there is no chance to repair them. This is the reason why we plan a
> FFC connector for the GTA04A5.

Would that just destroy the test points or also some connection?

> A better place for connecting wires is to locate some R's or C's on the PCB.

There seems to be no nicer place for soldering the i2c lines. I guess I
should add some kind of "nop"-piece between data and clock test points
to stabilize them.

> > Considering the space: I have 27mm x 9mm (next to the battery).
> > in that area. The antenna coil in the breakout board is 11.7x3.5mm
> > It could work.
>
> Yes, that looks fine :)

There it is...
http://misc.andi.de1.cc/as3935.jpg
I tested it externally on Pentecost. Lots of thunderstorms in the
vicinity. I compared to the behaviour of the breakout board (both
connected to the same microcontoller). I have not integrated it into the
gta04 yet. That is something I will do when I am not a bit in a hurry
(will be healthier for the test pads).  What I found out is that it
needs a clean power supply (at least if you do not use the internal
regulator). Having it on the same supply as a microcontroller doing usb
is not a good idea. I have several of these pcbs now (unfortunately
which two connections missing).

Greetings
Andreas Kemnade