[Gta04-owner] [goldelico-entwickler] GTA04A5

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Wed Jun 11 19:46:14 CEST 2014

Hi all,
after a longer break there are some news for the GTA04A5 indicating a first ray of hope :)

The first thing is that I have checked is if we can still get all components.
The most critical one is the UMTS modem (because there is no replacement that fits into the space). I have got confirmation that we can get them if we need let's say 100 units.

For the WLAN/BT module it is different. The W2CBW003 is declared end of life. So we will either have to get some remaining stock (which also appears to be possible). Or we can try to replace it by some TiWi5 module. This is a little risky since we have no chance to fix anything if the redesign does not work. And running the production batch twice or fixing it after production can't be financed.

Memory chips and CPUs are still available. As well as all the glue components (it was already tested to replace the FETs used for charging). A little critical is the battery backup supercap - but a replacement exist. And, the camera is no longer available. Finally, some connectors have been updated (but there are good replacements).

Looking at the number of units, we already have 29 devices registered (either by persons who have purchased a voucher or a used GTA02).
So we are already at ~30% of what we need to realistically run a production batch.

The main problem is still a case for the bare motherboard since it appears that only a minority is still thinking about replacing the motherboard of their GTA02.

So I am again working to find a new solution for a "Case Kit" so that complete devices can become available. This time, we follow a new idea that could make the device really unique and eye-catching. But I will tell more if it proves to be feasible.

Stay tuned,
Nikolaus

PS: we still have some used GTA02 on sales for this purpose