[Gta04-owner] Kernel upstreaming

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Feb 27 13:43:18 CET 2014

Am 27.02.2014 um 13:37 schrieb Neil Jerram:

> On 2014-02-27 12:05, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>
>> I usually do
>> git checkout goldelico/3.14-rc4 (or however it is called)
>
> I just refetched from https://github.com/goldelico/gta04-kernel.git, and I don't see 3.14-rc4.

Yes, this is not a complete mirror. The tree we are working on is this

http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-kernel.git;a=summary

>> and
>> git fetch linus (which is the official linus tree - not for-next or something).
>> Then
>> git diff --stat linus/master
>> This lists and counts the differences.
>
> Yes, but with all the (commit) structure lost :-).

Of course. This gives an overview and counts the number of differences.

Then, I usually look into the diffs:

git diff linus/master -- file or directory

>> Yes, there are less than 400. About 200 of them are for PVR/SGX
>> because we have an (old and non-functional) source in our tree.
>
> If this is really non-functional, would it help the picture to just remove it?

No. Because we have to reintegrate it again. WIth the current status we
have the subdirectories and Makefile in place and just need to copy
in the sources.

>> Of the others I expect that we can get 100 upstream in the next time -
>> or are already submitted but did not yet arrive (e.g. panel drivers,
>> improvements for device tree, omap clock framework).
>
> Nice.
>
>> The remaining 100 are programmed in a way that needs a some work (or
>> will never become part of the mainline tree - e.g. everything in the
>> GTA04 directory or defconfigs).
>
> Ageed for GTA04/*, but why can't the defconfigs go upstream?  I see lots of platform-specific defconfigs in arch/arm/configs in 3.13-rc7.

This is historic I think (like the many ARM board files). It might be a little easier to get a defconfig upstream. But it should be based on omap2plus_defconfig in the future because the whole future of ARM-Linux is to have a monolithic kernel binary in distributions that runs on any hardware.

>> I have attached a current list.
>> The main problem we currently have is that 3.14 has changed more than
>> anticipated and we are still trying to stabilize it (e.g. the OTG port
>> is not working, something is horribly slow and the framebuffer crashes
>> X-org) and move some more parts to Device Tree. And making drivers DT
>> compatible is currently the main things we need to upstream.
>
> Unfortunately I doubt I have the expertise (or serial cable) to help with that yet.
>
> I'll look at the list of diffs, and propose something that looks tractable and that I'm not aware of anyone else working on.

That would be fine!