[Gta04-owner] Kernel upstreaming

Neil Jerram neil at ossau.homelinux.net
Thu Feb 27 13:37:06 CET 2014

On 2014-02-27 12:05, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

> I usually do
>
> git checkout goldelico/3.14-rc4 (or however it is called)

I just refetched from https://github.com/goldelico/gta04-kernel.git, and
I don't see 3.14-rc4.

> and
> git fetch linus (which is the official linus tree - not for-next or
> something).
>
> Then
>
> git diff --stat linus/master
>
> This lists and counts the differences.

Yes, but with all the (commit) structure lost :-).

> Yes, there are less than 400. About 200 of them are for PVR/SGX
> because we have an (old and non-functional) source in our tree.

If this is really non-functional, would it help the picture to just
remove it?

> Of the others I expect that we can get 100 upstream in the next time -
> or are already submitted but did not yet arrive (e.g. panel drivers,
> improvements for device tree, omap clock framework).

Nice.

> The remaining 100 are programmed in a way that needs a some work (or
> will never become part of the mainline tree - e.g. everything in the
> GTA04 directory or defconfigs).

Ageed for GTA04/*, but why can't the defconfigs go upstream?  I see lots
of platform-specific defconfigs in arch/arm/configs in 3.13-rc7.

> I have attached a current list.
>
> The main problem we currently have is that 3.14 has changed more than
> anticipated and we are still trying to stabilize it (e.g. the OTG port
> is not working, something is horribly slow and the framebuffer crashes
> X-org) and move some more parts to Device Tree. And making drivers DT
> compatible is currently the main things we need to upstream.

Unfortunately I doubt I have the expertise (or serial cable) to help
with that yet.

I'll look at the list of diffs, and propose something that looks
tractable and that I'm not aware of anyone else working on.

Thanks,
      Neil