[Gta04-owner] Shapeways case and MMC connector

Paul Kocialkowski contact at paulk.fr
Fri Apr 11 23:04:48 CEST 2014

I received a gta04 case from Shapeways, all in white strong and
flexible. While it has a nice feeling and the plastic seems strong,
there are some serious downsides:
* The plastic part that connects the front cover to the middle cover on
the top of the case doesn't fit (apparently the hole is too small).
* The internal GPS antenna does not fit in the allowed space on the
middle case: there are at least 2mm or 3mm missing between the two
plastic parts to make it fit!
* It seems that the internal GPS antenna takes too much space and makes
it impossible to close the front cover to the middle cover.

While I was able to fix the first two issues by cutting off parts of
plastic, I encountered a more serious issue: the MMCX connector
completely detached from the main board after I tried to make the gta04
board fit in the case!

I have a very thin soldering iron (1mm end) so I'll try to solder it
back in place (I'll try to solder the two external pads and hope that
the middle one, that I cannot access, still makes good contact).
I'm guessing that the Shapeways case is somewhat stressing the board and
got the connector to dislocate, or perhaps it the soldering was very
weak from the start, or perhaps I damaged it earlier and didn't notice
because I didn't move the board around.

I hope I'll succeed in doing that, else I'll probably have to send the
device back to Goldelico at some point.

Also, I was a bit surprised to see that the internal GPS antenna doesn't
fit. I thought it had been tested and approved already. Or maybe I just
have a faulty print and should complain to Shapeways.

--
Paul Kocialkowski, Replicant developer

Website:        http://www.replicant.us/
Wiki/Tracker:   http://redmine.replicant.us/