[Gta04-owner] educationnal purpose

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Fri Apr 11 14:27:43 CEST 2014

Hi,

Am 10.04.2014 um 22:25 schrieb Cyril Firmin:

> Hello,
>
> I'm a french teacher and a GTA02 owner,
>
> I wanted to study in my class (engineering class) the GTA02,
> since it's discontinued I oriented my interest in the GTA04.
>
> I want to study the hardware not the software
> I already have some project in mind :
>
> - Designing a new case and integration for all the addon module (with Solidworks CAD tool), finality will be a 3D printed prototype

yes, that is a good idea. There are several samples/examples out there.
A good starting point is:

http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-main/page/CaseDesign/

> - Studying the power consumption (matlab simulation)

that might be a little more difficult because there are no models of the chips that are in use (and they tend to be non-linear and depend on software activities). But your students could identify the power tree and try to make assumptions about DC/DC converters, LDOs and power consumers (chips).

> - Studying in a simple way the GPS fonction (cinematic)
> - Integrate in the case a solar panel recharging module

this should be doable if you 3D print your battery covers yourself. There is an internal "AC" input on the RS232 console connector (although AC is quite wrong - it is a 5V DC charger input).

> - and more to come.....
>
> I'd like to know if you had established a functionnal specification for the GTA04

Most information is available in the manual incl. a block diagram and the complete schematics.

> I read the archive and found some interesting thread about the battery consumption.
> I also found some material for starting with :
> the case's CAD file, schematics,...
>
> I'd also like to discuss about your designing process of the hardware.

Yes, please. This mailing list would be a nice place to write questions.