[Gta04-owner] Kernel Development progress

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Sep 10 11:50:49 CEST 2013

Hi all,
kernel development is gaining speed again.

We have now switched the display panel drivers from the old to the display-new driver
interface which is required by 3.12 (the old one was deleted).

This has already been added to 3.11 since it is a 'still hybrid' version where both variants
are available.

As a user you will note no difference, but the board file has been changed and
prepared to have display parameters in the device tree.

To make finding the right variants easier I have rearranged the branches on the git
servers [1], [2]:

a. there is a 'master' branch with the most recent 'stable' kernel tree. This is currently
the 3.11-plus kernel. 'stable' is defined by some informal decision and mostly follows
the mainline stable releases (those without -rc suffix).

b. there are version specific branches with the name ${version}-plus, denoting that
we follow the official kernels but have additions specific to the GTA04 (e.g. power
management, display drivers, board file, other fixes and tweaks).

Our long term goal is to work with the kernel.org to get these 'plus' things into the
mainline tree, i.e. the amount of 'plus' (or distance to mainline) should become smaller
and smaller over time as we continue this work.

c. there are some "work in progress" branches on [1] only, named ${version}-wip-subtask
where the core team has push access.

I.e. currently, we have these branches:

3.12-wip					3.12 is currently in the merge window and not tested
3.11-plus				almost stable (we have to fix WLAN/BT power management)
master					currently the same as 3.11-plus
3.11-wip-gta04-devicetree
3.11-wip-gpupvrsgx
3.7-neil-plus				older stable kernel
2.6.32-hw-validation		very old stable kernel

So if you want to contribute, just git checkout the branch you want to start with and
send patches. A description how to build a kernel can be found at [3].

Finally, please test and report bugs through [4], so that we can openly coordinate work.

Happy hacking,
Nikolaus

[1]: http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-kernel.git;a=summary
[2]: https://github.com/goldelico/gta04-kernel