[Gta04-owner] Modem reenummerating

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sun Sep 8 11:31:23 CEST 2013

Hi Frode,

Am 07.09.2013 um 23:56 schrieb EdorFaus:

> On 09/07/2013 08:24 PM, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>> Am 03.09.2013 um 14:26 schrieb Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller:
>>> The next step I want to try is to use the HSO driver with debugging enabled.
>>
>> Ok, here some snippet with CONFIG_USB_DEBUG=y debugging:
>
>> And now comes the result (or problem): I was no longer able to produce a reenumeration in 3G.
>>
>> I also cross-checked: I compiled the kernel again w/o CONFIG_USB_DEBUG,
>> installed, rebooted and the reenumerations were also lost.
>>
>> So I additionally removed the #define DEBUG in hso.c so that I was back to the
>> original source and could not find reenumerations. So they must depend on the
>> current wind direction or humidity.
>
> So, if I understand this correctly, you originally got reenumerations, then you compiled your own kernel with debug on, and no longer got them. Then you compiled your own kernel with debug off, and still didn't get them, even after you removed all your changes and recompiled.
>
> That makes me wonder: have you tried going back to the original kernel image that you did get the reenumerations with?
>
> If you try that, and end up having them with that kernel but not with your own, then the problem is compiler dependent as well.

It was always a self-compiled kernel, i.e. the same cross-toolchain and therefore I could go back by git reset. Maybe I
did not test well enough in the last step.

For some valid statistics it needs ~100 test calls and if each one needs 30 seconds, only one test needs 30 minutes.
But I haven't automated that yet (as Radek apparently did).

So I am not sure if my test-setup is reproducible and stable. But it must be if we want to draw solid conclusions.