[Gta04-owner] GTA04A5 - revitalization?

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Nov 7 08:24:55 CET 2013

Am 07.11.2013 um 08:00 schrieb Radek Polak:

> On Wednesday, November 06, 2013 04:10:39 PM Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>
> > What do you think?
>
> For me Neo900 looks much more attractive. The HW is so much nicer - e.g. try to read something from GTA04 display under sun, try to type something longer on the N900/GTA04 keyboard... So i am very interested in Neo900* and not much interested in GTA04A5.
>
> BR
>
> Radek
>
> * Neo900 with proper power management

Just to give some background information:

both designs (GTA04A% and GTA04b7) will share the same SoC and Modem.

And the power management problems are in the kernel software and not hardware
(we may try to replace the USB3322 in both models). So they are as good as each
other. Well the BL-5J battery capacity is 10% more, but has no HDQ fuel gauge inside.

Other significant differences:
* Neo900 has WVGA display (GTA04A5 VGA)
* Neo900 has keyboard (GTA04A5 - Keyboard connector)
* Neo900 has a 5MPx camera (GTA04A5: ?)
* Neo900 has built in eMMC of ca. 32 GB (GTA04A5: no space for another chip)
* Neo900 has 3.5mm headset jack
* Neo900 has micro-USB (is this better or worse?)
* Neo900 has a separate 3-way camera shutter button

Everything else is planned to be the same (incl. boot loader and kernel).
Otherwise we were not able to share costly components and overall
development efforts.