[Gta04-owner] Android 3.0 kernel for GTA04

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu May 9 12:01:43 CEST 2013

Hi,

Am 09.05.2013 um 11:42 schrieb Paul Kocialkowski:

> Le jeudi 09 mai 2013 à 10:14 +0400, Alexander Rumyantsev a écrit :
>> Hello
>>
>> 1) I would like to support Paul in his request. The problem discussed some times,
>> but replicant team did not get any support on this way.
>> My understanding a situation with Android/Replicant kernel is same as Paul has - we have not
>> stable kernel. It is some kernel version, which recommended to different Android version:
>> 2.6.35 - Gingerbread, 3.0.8 - ICS . So it is not good to follow latest version kernel
>> from Android point of view as you suggest. ( However Denis is going this way now ).
>
> We are now focusing on adding complete gta04 support to the Android 3.0
> kernel. Only proper suspend/resume is missing.
>
>> At moment I am trying to find which features from latest kernel versions is it possible to
>> use with current used, Paul try go get working stage for 3.0 version.
>> My opinion that all correction concerning GTA04 should be available not only for latest kernel
>> version, but for some stable release. Pauls suggestion to work with 3.0 kernel is a good point.
>
> Well, it was ported to several stable kernel revisions, 3.0 is just not
> part of them. However I would appreciate some help from knowledgeable
> people to complete 3.0 as well.
>
>> 2)  Though I prefer to work with Replicant-2.3, which use kernel 3.2 as
>> this version has the greatest level of readiness, Pauls approach I consider
>> most reasonable and conforming to all necessary requirements. Therefore
>> with pleasure I will take part myself and I invite all to render assistance
>> to the project.
>
> I doesn't really have the "greatest level of readiness", it had huge
> suspend/resume issues and 3.0 is even working better on that regard.
>> My five cents: after a short looks (thanks to Denis for a branch in a repository)
>> I was succeeded to launch Replicant-2.3 with this kernel. Find here a diff-file:
>
> We are not going to continue supporting 2.3 for any device (including
> gta04). All efforts are put towards 4.0 as for now.
> The current device tree is
> http://git.paulk.fr/gitweb/?p=device_goldelico_gta04.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/replicant-4.0
> and will be pushed to gitorious soon.

This is IMHO a wise move since 4.1/4.2 is already becoming dominant.

Generally: great work and thanks for the background information!

I think the different kernel developers should exchange a little more such background
information which might be very helpful to everybody.

>> 3)I would like to put community attention to only SD-based project. No changes
>> in NAND, all work with SD.
>> All above prepared as SD-based. To prepare working SD:
>> ./replicant_gta04_install.sh system /dev/sdb
>> into restored directory. ( change /dev/sdb to your device ).
>
> I changed the script so that it does not reflash the NAND u-boot and
> rather contains a fat32 partition with u-boot.bin, MLO, boot.scr and the
> kernel. I also integrated the bootloaders build to the replicant build
> platform.

What I wonder is why you still need to distribute your own MLO/u-boot and bootscr?

Are there features missing in the NAND boot system? If yes, please elaborate
and they can be added.

The ideal world should be that only kernels and rootfs systems are on SD
cards because that makes the life much easier for users wanting to swap SDs
between systems or haven different systems on one SD.