[Gta04-owner] Replicant GTA04 : suspend bug

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Jan 28 15:30:18 CET 2013

Am 28.01.2013 um 15:18 schrieb Alexander Rumyantsev:

>>> We are still trying to find an usable Android kernel that would work
>>> with DM37x, and for now, all the combinations we've tried turned out to
>>> fail at some point, leaving us facing huge issues each time. We
>>> definitely want to add support for the GTA04 in Replicant, but we can't
>>> start any work on the userspace if we don't have a complete and usable
>>> kernel first. That's why there has been no announcement regarding GTA04
>>> even though we released Replicant 4.0 for other devices.
>>>
>>> The context of that email was a conversation between Alexander and me
>>> regarding Replicant suspend issues with GTA04.
>>>
>>> We'll keep trying to end up with a stable kernel that could be used with
>>> ICS, though that would be easier if there was a 3.x Android kernel for
>>> OMAP DM37x devices out there. GNUtoo is working to try new combinations
>>> while I gave up for now and focused on other devices.
>>>

>> Suppose that - hypothetically - I wanted to spend a bit of time adding
>> Android bits to current mainline so that it would work on the GTA04 for
>> replicant, what would I look at adding.
>>
>> i.e. do you have a list of what doesn't work if you try my latest kernel?
>>
>> I'm guessing that suspend-blocker is the big one.  Much of the rest is
>> probably there, at least in 'staging'.
>> Do you have an fs image that shows up these missing bits clear so that if I
>> were - again, hypothetically - to try to enhance the kernel, I could easily
>> test if it were helping at all?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> NeilBrown
>
> Hello Neil
>
> 1) Thank you for quick answer and explanation a patch above. Your explanation make me sure
> in my understanding. This patch may be used as temporary solution of Replicant 2.3 suspend/resume
> problem. But real problem is some deeper, console restored incorrectly sometime if this patch
> not used.
> 2) My understanding a situation with Android/Replicant kernel is same as Paul has - we have not
> stable kernel. It is some kernel version, which recommended to different Android version:
> 2.6.35 - Gingerbread, 3.0.8 - ICS . So it is not good to follow latest version kernel
> from Android point of view as you suggest. ( However Denis is going this way now ).

Maybe this helps as a starting point?

<http://code.google.com/p/rowboat/wiki/JellybeanOnBeagleboard_WithSGX>

The GTA04 and the BeagleBoard XM are almost the same hardware from kernel perspective.

Just needs to modify the board file (for different GPIOs and other wirings) and add/configure
some drivers (display panel, touch, sensors, ...).