[Gta04-owner] Can't boot QtMoko or SHR with current makesd script

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sat Feb 16 20:56:44 CET 2013

Am 16.02.2013 um 20:35 schrieb Neil Jerram:

> "Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns at goldelico.com> writes:
>
>>> Am I correct that "installed" means "installed to NAND"?  And that it
>>> should in principle work to have a boot system in NAND only?
>>
>> NAND should have installed:
>> * X-loader
>> * U-Boot
>> * images
>> * boot.scr
>>
>> to be useable.
>>
>> Alternatively, you can have on a SD:
>> * MLO (variant of X-loader)
>> * U-Boot
>> * images
>> * boot.scr
>>
>> If you have neither of both, obviously you can't boot.
>
> I wonder if my NAND is working.  I'll try copying those boot files from
> my makesd card to my QtMoko/SHR card.

>>> What do you mean by "This one"?  http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/
>>> has many subfolders, many of which provide a makesd script.
>>
>> It hasn't changed for a while (at least 6 months) except that each
>> version in the archive (this is what the subfolders are) should have the
>> correct
>
> And also except for uboot.bin being updated to handle ext4, around mid
> January?
>
> My QtMoko/SHR card uses ext4, so if the 20130130-GTA04-last-2.6.32 uboot
> can't handle ext4, that would obviously be a problem.

>> line or it will install a different version than you think.

>>> OK, from that I guess you probably mean to use the makesd in
>>> http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/20130130-GTA04-last-2.6.32.  In fact
>>
>> Yes, this is the last one. The last one used in factory is:
>>
>> http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/20121212-GTA04-Production/
>
> How do 20130130-GTA04-last-2.6.32 and 20121212-GTA04-Production differ?
> (My guess is just the ext4 support.)

I have checked the ext4 support was added to the source code on 10th Jan.
So the newer one should support ext4 while the older one does not.

But IMHO it hasn't been tested much.

>> The current unstable is work in progress to make a complete 3.7 based
>> recovery and hw-validation image for NAND.
>
> Does that mean I should completely ignore the unstable and unstable-3.x
> options?

At the moment. They probably don't work at all when being flashed to NAND.
And the are updated "on the fly", so they may be in an inconsistent state
for some hours/days.

The plan is to fix the camera thing and one or two more aspects and then make
a new "stable" snapshot soon.

>> Hope this helps,
>
> I'm afraid it hasn't yet.  I just did makesd again with two 2Gb cards,
> and neither of them appears to have installed to NAND correctly.  With
> one of the cards I did manage to boot into LXDE, by pressing AUX
> throughout the process.  But when I power off, switch over to my

Maybe I am not telling any news:

Pressing AUX during power on selects the MLO from the SD card (if available).
MLO loads U-Boot from SD card and runs boot.scr from there.

The bootscr checks if the AUX button is pressed approx. 1-2 seconds after
the LEDs/Display did go on for the first time. And the AUX menu should
appear. Pressing AUX after that isn't important any more.

This happens only if you don't have the SD card created by makesd installed,
i.e. boot with no SD card.

If you have the card created by makesd the procedure is different.

Power on with AUX pressed and the screen turns red (you can release AUX then).
Then, wail until it boots into LXDE. Remove battery and SD card. Then it should
boot into LXDE from NAND as described above.

> QtMoko/SHR card, and then insert the battery again, I only get a white
> screen.

Hm. Strange. It could even be a bug in the ext4 u-boot.