[Gta04-owner] Crowdfunding an Ubuntu smartphone

Radek Polak psonek2 at seznam.cz
Tue Aug 27 09:04:11 CEST 2013

On Monday, August 26, 2013 11:56:26 PM NeilBrown wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 13:58:21 +0200 Sven Dyroff <S.Dyroff at phytec.de> wrote:
> > Hello Radek,
> >
> > > Together with reenumerating modem it makes GTA04 barely usable
> > > even for a few hardcore supporters but unusable for normal users.
> >
> > Not being reachable reliably is indeed the main barrier that prevents
> > GTA04 to be usable as daily phone. It results in the requirement, that
> > you need two phones to carry with you: One for making phone calls and
> > SMS and the GTA04 for the rest. Otherwise you'll get the problems that
> > Christ van Willegen described exemplary:
> >
> > "I get a _lot_ of flack about not being reachable from my wife, who
> > repeatedly calls on me to drop the GTA project and get another phone so I
> > am reliably reachable again :-("
> >
> > The second big problem indeed is power management. But power usage during
> > suspend is a minor problem. Much more serious is the fact, that you
> > cannot charge GTA04 in the same way as you're used from every other
> > mobile device: Connect a charger to it in the evening and have a fully
> > charged device in the morning.
> >
> > Is it kernel or is it userspace which can be blamed for the problem, that
> > after having charged up to 100% GTA04 will discharge again instead of
> > switching over its power demand to external supply and thus keep its
> > battery at 100% filling level, like every other mobile device does?
>
> Does every other device really do this?

From my experience it's more about battery. My old battery charged full then
discharged to 0. I bought new battery which IIRC behaved correctly - charging
started again at those 75%. But now it does not work for me either:

root at neo:~# cat /sys/class/power_supply/bq27000-battery/charge_now
556027
root at neo:~# cat /sys/class/power_supply/bq27000-battery/charge_full
1103308
root at neo:~# cat /sys/bus/platform/devices/twl4030_usb/vbus
on
root at neo:~# cat /sys/class/power_supply/bq27000-battery/status
Discharging

> If you had a device which would last for 5 days in standby, then during the
> 6-8 hours between when the battery finished charging and when you unplug it
> in the morning, it would use 8/120 of 1/15th of the battery. If your
> display shows you battery level with 5 (or even 10) bars, this would still
> show as full.
>
> The reason it is a problem for GTA04 is not that it stops charging and then
> runs on battery, but that while on battery it uses too much current.

Yup - it makes the problem much bigger then it is...

> It is possible to reprogram the hardware to start charging the battery
> again a bit earlier.  I think it currently restarts at about 75%.

Maybe we should give it a try.

> It isn't possible to run purely of the mains current as that typically only
> provides 500mA, and I think the modem can occasionally need bursts in
> excess of this.

Btw i wonder how the things are working in Freerunner. IIRC it's battery shows
current_now=0 when the phone is charged full (i have FR at home so cant
confirm, but i am quite sure).

Regards

Radek