[Gta04-owner] Crowdfunding an Ubuntu smartphone

Sven Dyroff S.Dyroff at phytec.de
Mon Aug 26 13:58:21 CEST 2013

Hello Radek,

> Together with reenumerating modem it makes GTA04 barely usable
> even for a few hardcore supporters but unusable for normal users.

Not being reachable reliably is indeed the main barrier that prevents
GTA04 to be usable as daily phone. It results in the requirement, that you
need two phones to carry with you: One for making phone calls and SMS and
the GTA04 for the rest. Otherwise you'll get the problems that Christ van
Willegen described exemplary:

"I get a _lot_ of flack about not being reachable from my wife, who
repeatedly calls on me to drop the GTA project and get another phone so I
am reliably reachable again :-("

The second big problem indeed is power management. But power usage during
suspend is a minor problem. Much more serious is the fact, that you cannot
charge GTA04 in the same way as you're used from every other mobile
device: Connect a charger to it in the evening and have a fully charged
device in the morning.

Is it kernel or is it userspace which can be blamed for the problem, that
after having charged up to 100% GTA04 will discharge again instead of
switching over its power demand to external supply and thus keep its
battery at 100% filling level, like every other mobile device does?

By the way I want to use this opportunity once again to encourage you to
provide a QtMoko v56 with camera support. The fact that currently the
GTA04 is blind results in the requirement, that the second phone mentioned
above also is to have the missing camera. This means, the second phone
cannot be any cheap shit from rummage table. Unfortunately there's the
relationship: The more features a phone has, the more spy shit it has.

Best regards
   Sven