[Gta04-owner] Android gadget driver

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Fri Aug 9 22:41:35 CEST 2013

Hi Paul,

Am 07.08.2013 um 21:15 schrieb Paul Kocialkowski:

> Le lundi 05 août 2013 à 08:53 +0200, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller a écrit :
>>> We cannot use ccg, we need to original sysfs nodes names.
>>
>> Did they already change the sysfs node names in the first version, i.e. the
>> commit mentioned above so that it was incompatible with user space
>> right from the beginning?
>
> Yes, this commit has the wrong sysfs names.

Ah, I see. So they did take the Android driver and change the names to ccg and
then did submit.

Well, we could also try to modify the sysfs names - if there is no change in functions.

How should the names be?

>>> Why not directly include Android USB Gadget from a recent Linaro kernel?
>>
>> Maybe, because nobody has a plan where to look for and find the patch?
>
> My guess is that chasing all the commits that introduced the Android USB
> Gadget will be long and hard.

Yes.

> On the other hand, we could do a dirty
> import of the files either from a 3.11 linaro kernel (if such a kernel
> exists), from a repo at android.git.linaro.org or from AOSP's commit
> kernel, which has a 3.10 branch:
> https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/common/

That indeed looks good:

https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/common/+/experimental/android-3.10-rc5/drivers/usb/gadget/android.c

And my impression is that there have been some significant changes between 3.8 and 3.10 but not as many
from 3.10 to 3.11.

When I find some time I will try this approach and then we see what still needs to be fixed.