[Gta04-owner] Android gadget driver

Belisko Marek marek.belisko at gmail.com
Sat Aug 3 13:28:29 CEST 2013

Hi All,

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 7:18 PM, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
<hns at goldelico.com> wrote:

> Am 02.08.2013 um 17:20 schrieb Belisko Marek:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 4:59 PM, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
>> <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Paul,

>>> I have to add that according to
>>>
>>>        http://elinux.org/Android_Mainlining_Project
>>>
>>> there has been activities to write a "Configurable Composite Gadget - reincarnation of Android Composite Gadget".
>>>
>>> The code did appear in "staging" in Linux 3.5 and was moved somewhere else after 3.9.
>>>
>>> So there might already be something in 3.11 that we just need to enable (and maybe help to fix if it has bugs).
>> Unfortunately it was removed (in 3.10 probably):
>> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/gregkh/staging.git/commit/?h=staging-next&id=ad76663264f5237a79fd000c95970360dcac7073
>
> Oops - that is sad.
I've contacted John Stultz (responsible for mainlinig android at
linaro) with question about gadget driver and he replied:

So for now, there isn't a replacement for the Android Gadget driver.
The ccg was sort of a half step that was quickly abandoned. The
eventual replacement should be the ConfigFS Gadget driver. Some
portions of which have landed upstream, but I've not yet been able to
research if its sufficient to replace the Android Gadget driver.

If you want to look into it, you can find the commit here:
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=88af8bbe4ef781031ad3370847553f3b42ba0076

I'm hoping to discuss this further at the Linux Plumbers Conference
Android Micro-conf.

As for Linaro Android Kernels, those should include the Android Gadget
driver patches.

Hope this helps explain things.

> I have researched a little about the reasons and it appears to me that the original Android code uses a /sys interface but the Kernel people didn't like to use it as it is. So they developed a new user space API - but the Android people didn't like to use it. So it got removed and several generations of time have been lost :(
>
> I think it would have been wiser to accept the initial Android thing as is (maybe moved to a staging subdirectory) and let the API evolve from release to release into the expected direction...
>
> The result is that we have to port the Android Composite Gadget again and no chance to get it upstream.
>
> This brings back the question how we can add it in a clean and traceable and maintainable way to our 3.11 kernel that does not interfere too much (because it may reappear in let's say 3.21).
>
> BR,
> Nikolaus

marek

--