[Gta04-owner] Android gadget driver

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Fri Aug 2 19:18:31 CEST 2013

Am 02.08.2013 um 17:20 schrieb Belisko Marek:

> Hi All,
>
> On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 4:59 PM, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
> <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:
>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> Am 02.08.2013 um 16:47 schrieb Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller:
>>
>>> Hi Paul,
>>> The new 3.11-rc3 kernel is starting to get better and better [1].
>>>
>>> I don't have an overview about missing Android support kernel functions yet, but the android gadget driver is definitively missing [2].
>>>
>>> So what is the most easy way to get one? Is is there some Gitweb to look into the Replicant kernel commits?
>>>
>>> I think it would be the easiest path if I can find some commit(s) and apply (& fix) them to the 3.11 kernel instead of trying to port it again from somewhere.
>>>
>>> BR,
>>> Nikolaus
>>>
>>> [1]: http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/neil-3.1x-plus
>>> [2]: http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-kernel/issues/473
>>

>> I have to add that according to
>>
>>        http://elinux.org/Android_Mainlining_Project
>>
>> there has been activities to write a "Configurable Composite Gadget - reincarnation of Android Composite Gadget".
>>
>> The code did appear in "staging" in Linux 3.5 and was moved somewhere else after 3.9.
>>
>> So there might already be something in 3.11 that we just need to enable (and maybe help to fix if it has bugs).
> Unfortunately it was removed (in 3.10 probably):
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/gregkh/staging.git/commit/?h=staging-next&id=ad76663264f5237a79fd000c95970360dcac7073

Oops - that is sad.

I have researched a little about the reasons and it appears to me that the original Android code uses a /sys interface but the Kernel people didn't like to use it as it is. So they developed a new user space API - but the Android people didn't like to use it. So it got removed and several generations of time have been lost :(

I think it would have been wiser to accept the initial Android thing as is (maybe moved to a staging subdirectory) and let the API evolve from release to release into the expected direction...

The result is that we have to port the Android Composite Gadget again and no chance to get it upstream.

This brings back the question how we can add it in a clean and traceable and maintainable way to our 3.11 kernel that does not interfere too much (because it may reappear in let's say 3.21).