[Gta04-owner] 3G internet connection

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Wed Apr 24 07:13:28 CEST 2013

Am 24.04.2013 um 00:34 schrieb Sven:

> Hello,
>
> does it really work? Hermann said we need to use /dev/ttyHS_Control instead of /dev/ttyHS_Modem.
>
> What's the reason for using femtocom? Isn't /dev/ttHS_Control a tty-Device where one could directly do an echo to it?

Using echo will close the interface immediately which may abort the USB data transfer and the modem will not even see the command.

So using echo >/dev/ttyHS_Application; cat </dev/ttyHS_Application will not work and you are not able to read the status (e.g. "AT_OPSYS?")

> I tried to do "apt-get install femtocom" but it couldn't find the package. For compiling it by myself on the phone, I need gcc, but gcc is not part of the QtMoko distro. So I need to apt-get install it. It says that it's 29,5 MB, so with my current 2G connection would take some hours only for getting it. Other possibility would be to connect the phone to the internet via IP

Ok, I see. This is indeed a problem.

> over USB. But therefor I also need to do the right network setup, where I always have to look within my documentation how to do it, because I cannot remember them. So what I want to say is:
>
> a) I'll try it out when I have some more time, i.e. weekend.
>
> b) If femtocom is really needed for such things (why?), please add it to the distro or at least to the repository. Handling would become much more user friendly...

What you can try without any additional installation is

(echo "ATcommand"; sleep 1) >/dev/ttyHS_Application

This should at least solve the issue that the command may not arrive at the modem's end.

Finally, you could try the commands "AT&F" and "ATZ" but I don't know if they reset only the Hayes interface parameters.