[Gta04-owner] Invitation to indicate interest in next batch of GTA04A5 boards

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sat Apr 6 19:58:27 CEST 2013

Am 04.04.2013 um 12:48 schrieb Bob Ham:

> On 2013-04-04 09:53, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>> Am 04.04.2013 um 10:08 schrieb Sven Dyroff:
>
>> * kickstarter is US centric
>
> I would just point to this site:
>
>  http://www.startnext.de/Projects.html?newLanguage=en
>
> It's a German crowdfunding site which has both German and English descriptions for projects.

Here is an example that some of the factors we are discussing can be done better than the OpenPhoenux community does (at least on the first impression). But it still is not a guarantee for a success.

1. enthusiastic press coverage ("Here’s a name you’ll be hearing a lot about in the next few months: NexPhone.")

<http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/09/meet-the-nexphone-an-ubuntu-based-smartphone-pc-tablet-and-laptop-in-one>
<http://www.phonearena.com/news/NexPhone---a-device-that-is-also-your-tablet-laptop-or-PC_id34279>
<http://www.pcworld.com/article/2010273/nexphone-concept-an-ubuntu-based-android-brain-in-your-pocket.html>
<http://www.gizmag.com/nexphone-smartphone-tablet-pc/24563/>

etc...

2. a nicely designed home page

<http://www.nexcrea.com/>

3. the crowdfunding result (please check if your browser correctly renders $$$ figures :)

<http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/nexphone-is-the-future-of-smartphones?website_name=nexphone>

4. some analysis of the project

<http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/09/is-the-nexphone-concept-worth-donating-to>

Well, there is one major difference to the GTA04A5 - they just had an idea plus nice graphics and a good press coverage and did offer nothing useful (well having lunch with the project originator :) for pledges. We have existing hardware, software, a community, and a plan but less press coverage...

Of course they have done some aspects completely wrong as the discussions (e.g. reddit) reveal (and we don't have to repeat them).
E.g. choosing www.indiegogo.com and not offering useful things for pledges.

Nevertheless it shows that crowd-sourcing a project does not always work or is easy or immediately more successful than any other method of funding a project. It needs a lot of preparation work to make it a successful marketing campaign. And such examples to learn about potential pitfalls.

I also found interesting the hint in the last article that "Palm only shifted 408,000 Pre and Pixi devices with the aid of a massive marketing drive ...". And that was some years ago without Apple&Samsung leading the markets. (I have not cross-checked these figure).

Happy weekend,
Nikolaus

PS: I like their concept, but would do the connection between the components by WLAN/WWAN/Cloud (data), inductive charging (power) and magnets (mechanical) and avoid a mechanical "docking connector". And I would add another processor to the tablet/notebook/desktop so that you can use both in parallel :)