[Gta04-owner] Invitation to indicate interest in next batch of GTA04A5 boards

Boudewijn wankelwankel at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 5 12:18:29 CEST 2013

On 5-4-2013 10:56, Sven Dyroff wrote:
> Hmmm, slowly I get an idea what the secret behind its success could
> be. It's not the device itself. It's not to have the "eierlegende
> Wollmilchsau" (German term for an all-in-one device suitable for every
> purpose). No, the essential point is the design of the interfaces and
> their usability that the device has. As far as I can remember over all
> previous discussions within this list, this point never had been
> expressed when describing the benefits of the GTA04.
Sounds as "the unix way": one thing, do it well, with clearly defined
and accessible interfaces. Only, it _would_ be nice if it laid eggs.
> So if in addition GD spends an easy to use I2C-port to the GTA04A5 -
> IIRC already announced at least for use with external keyboards - and
> perhaps some other nicely to use interfaces, that could be *the*
> killing marketing argument. Especially if they are also available when
> using an recycled Freerunner case with only one or two more
> hand-drilled holes within it...   ;-))
We can _at least_ design some Lego-compatible knobs on the backplate or
sides.

AA-batteries have been mentioned more often. I'd also like that; three
of them supply 3.6V and are easily sourced up to (to my knowledge) 2900
mAh for NiMH. Never saw li-ion AA batteries at 1.2V though but didn't
spend much time searching for them. Alibaba goes over 3000mAh for AA
batteries, but I imagine them "incorrectly labeled" or having a larger
diameter than usually.

Are we bound to 3.7V for input, by the way? Most telephones I know use
it, but not all our components use 3.7V so we have to step up or down
anyway.

Best regards,

Boudewijn