[Gta04-owner] Invitation to indicate interest in next batch of GTA04A5 boards

Bob Ham rah at settrans.net
Thu Apr 4 17:51:31 CEST 2013

On 2013-04-04 15:09, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> Am 04.04.2013 um 16:20 schrieb Bob Ham:

>> I see.  In that case I'm wondering: why not use crowdfunding to
>> cover the component costs as well?  But then I see the problem:
>> marketing.  The A5 has barely registered on my radar
>
> We have spent 2 days at FOSDEM, showing and explaining the devices
> (board and complete and 3D printed cases) and handing out flyers. We
> have also had some press coverage in January about the GTA04 (not A4
> vs. A5).

But there's been no buzz or interest about the A5 like there was before
the A4 was produced.  Perhaps it's just my perception but it seems like
the effort behind marketing the A5 has been minimal compared to the A4.

>> and I regularly check this list and the other openmoko/openphoenix
>> lists.  I've seen no calls for assistance in spreading the word, no
>> requests for donations, there is no web page about the A5 and in
>> general there's been no noise about it.
>
> Why do you think it needs a special web page since it mainly fixes
> some smaller issues of the A4?

To market the product.  "The product" here being a new revision of the
GTA04 board from a new production run.

> Here was the original announcement describing the differences:
>

> http://lists.goldelico.com/pipermail/community/2013-January/000215.html
>
> (please see the responses :)

This demonstrates my point precisely.  I myself commented on some of
the aspects of the new A5 revision.  And then did nothing.  Because I
saw no request for assistance in marketing it or drumming up interest.
And was eventually completely unsurprised by the low number of A5
pre-orders.

--
Bob Ham <rah at settrans.net>

for (;;) { ++pancakes; }