[Gta04-owner] Invitation to indicate interest in next batch of GTA04A5 boards

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Apr 4 17:09:03 CEST 2013

Am 04.04.2013 um 16:20 schrieb Bob Ham:

> On 2013-04-04 12:02, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>
>>> In total then, there are about €4000 in one-off costs for a production run of a new design.  I think it's eminently possible to raise that through crowdfunding.  Moreover, I don't think we're going to determine, a priori, whether such a crowdfunding effort will be successful.  I think the only way to determine whether it will be successful is to do it.
>>>
>>> So why not do it? :-)
>>
>> Because it misses a crucial point: getting the one-off costs is only
>> half of the problem. The other one is that if we want to produce 100
>> units, we need to buy components for 100 units. And as long as there
>> are not 100 orders for 100 units, there is still missing a lot of
>> money to stock the not-yet needed components.
>
> I see.  In that case I'm wondering: why not use crowdfunding to cover the component costs as well?  But then I see the problem: marketing.  The A5 has barely registered on my radar

We have spent 2 days at FOSDEM, showing and explaining the devices (board and complete and 3D printed cases) and handing out flyers. We have also had some press coverage in January about the GTA04 (not A4 vs. A5).

> and I regularly check this list and the other openmoko/openphoenix lists.  I've seen no calls for assistance in spreading the word, no requests for donations, there is no web page about the A5 and in general there's been no noise about it.

Why do you think it needs a special web page since it mainly fixes some smaller issues of the A4? It is not a different product at all. Here was the original announcement describing the differences:

http://lists.goldelico.com/pipermail/community/2013-January/000215.html

(please see the responses :)