[Gta04-owner] A few observations about current QtMoko

Neil Jerram neil at ossau.homelinux.net
Thu Sep 6 22:50:03 CEST 2012

QtMoko is pretty good and usable now.  I have a few random things that
I'd like to mention, partly to advertise that we're in the domain of
relatively mild problems now, and partly because, for some of the
things, I don't yet have enough data points myself to see a clear
pattern.

1. Since the move to a 3.5 kernel, the BMP085 pressure reading is
sometimes down between 710 and 730mb, which is obviously wrong.  It
generally goes back up to ~1000 if left for a while without suspending.

2. I've had a few successful calls since setting AT_OPSYS=3,2 instead of
0,2.  On the other hand, I also had a couple of calls where the audio
sounded like low pitch growling.  (This is on an A3, so could be caused
by the software audio routing.)

3. I've noticed a few times that the GPRS/3G data stops working after a
while (~1hr) or possibly after a certain amount of data transfer.
Usually this is fixed by just stopping and restarting the GPRS/3G
service.  A couple of times that didn't work (got stuck in "Pending")
and I had to shut down and briefly remove the battery.  (Again, A3,
where battery removal is needed to completely shut down the modem.)

4. The Qtopia email program is pretty good.  So far I've noticed just
two minor problems: it can't handle two levels of multipart/xxx content,
and the To field is incorrectly disabled when forwarding an email; but I
expect those will be easy to fix.

5. Is there a way of playing the Cutemaze game on the phone?  It seems
to expect to be controlled by key events like "Up", "Down" and so on.

That's all for now; all thoughts welcome!

      Neil